AW: st: AW: beta coefficients for interaction terms

Subject   AW: st: AW: beta coefficients for interaction terms
Date   Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:47:05 +0200

<>

Your -gen- statement computes the interaction, but Stata would treat this
new variable as a covariate in its own right, w/o any connection to other
covariates. A similar issue arises with quadratic terms of a covariate
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-08/msg00307.html).

The book you mentioned has a subsection on the topic on pages 222-226, and
the English version seems to be a straightforward translation of it, AFAIK
(http://www.stata-press.com/books/daus2.html, page 222). I cannot find the
stuff on the beta coefficient there, though. They do say that you should
check for missings with -rowmiss- and that you should subtract the mean from
the variables before standardization. The latter is easily accomplished via

*****
sysuse auto, clear

*enter your vars to be standardized here
local stdvars "price weight trunk turn"

foreach var of local stdvars{
summ `var', mean
gen std`var'=`var'-r(mean)
}
*****

-egen, std()- would divide by the standard deviation in addition to my
code...

HTH
Martin