st: graphics

Subject   st: graphics
Date   Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:37:30 -0500

Somebody posted this on R-help list, and I was pretty much stunned:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen.html
... for some 15 minutes until I played in their sandbox:
http://graphs.gapminder.org/world/ . When is Stata doing something
like that?

Actually, I've done some fast moving graphs with Stata 7 back in 2001
or so. But with the new object-oriented graphics engine, the hope will
instead be in producing a proper movie. Matlab has been exporting
graphics into AVI for some while now, I think. At some point, I strung
a couple dozen Stata-produced eps graphs into an avi using some video
software (Adobe Premiere?). If Stata were producing JPEGs, then I'd
imagine it would be a relatively simple exercise in -file- to produce
an MJPEG video out of these. Just thinking aloud out there; may be it
is only worth a Stata tip for ten users interested rather than a
separate -graph movie- routine.