Re: st: check whether a variable has any missing values

From   Eva Poen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: check whether a variable has any missing values
Date   Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:12:57 +0000

Jacob,

it's a lot easier than you think. I believe you are confused about the
missing() function.

di missing(bad)

instructs Stata to display whatever missing(bad) returns, which will
be zero if missing(bad) evaluates to fale, and one if it evaluates to
true. Because bad is a variable, missing(bad) is actually interpreted
by Stata as missing(bad[1]), i.e. the value of the first observation
is substituted for the variable.

What you want is simply

count if missing(bad)

Hope this helps,