Re: st: RE: Group building according to given report dates and company

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Group building according to given report dates and company
Date   Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:18:50 -0400

Hua,

One of your problems is that each ID (permno) has multiple cases in each dataset. I don't know exactly how Stata handles a merge when there are multiple observations per ID in both datasets, but it apparently doesn't do what you want.

How to proceed depends in part on whether there is a fixed set of report dates for all IDs. That is, the first report is on 1/1/04, the second on 2/1/04, etc., for all firms. If so, you can do what Nick suggested without merging B into A.

-----
use A, clear
gen period = 1 if date >= d(01jan2004) & date < d(01feb2004)
gen period = 2 if date >= d(01feb2004) & date < d(28feb2004)
collapse (sum) ret, by(permno period)
----

You can generate the periods in a loop if the reporting periods are a fixed amount of time apart (30 days, 1 month, 1 quarter, etc.).

If the report dates vary across IDs, then you might consider something like this:

-----
use B,clear
by permno, sort: gen per = _n   // needed for reshape
reshape wide retdats, i(permno) j(per)
sort permno
merge permno using A assert _merge == 3 // just to be sure
gen byte period = 0
forvalues i = 1/11 {   // you said there were 11 periods
replace period = `i' if date >= retdats`i' & date < retdats`i' + 30 // you can fix the dates as needed
}
assert period > 0 & period < .   // just to be sure
collapse (sum) ret, by(permno period)
-----

I haven't run this code, but I think it's basically what you want and mostly syntactically correct. You probably also want to add a check to ensure that you have all 11 (or whatever the number is) dates for each ID and modify the program accordingly if that assumption is incorrect.

Michael

Hua Pan wrote:
Dear Nick,

thank you very much for your suggestion. Just as you adviced, I also want to make a subdivision into time periods, not smaller datasets. But I just wonder how can I do that.Maybe you have an good idea?
My dataset after merge A and B look like this:

permno	date	         repdats	    ret
10002	04012004	04292004	.018296152
10002	04022004	07272004	.010668194
10002	04052004	10272004	-.000555568
10002	04062004	01242005	-.018343519
10002	04072004	04222005	.018686293
10002	04082004	07202005	-.016120011
10002	04122004	10122005	-.028248586
10002	04132004	01202006	-.012790768
10002	04142004	04212006	-.007656017
10002	04152004	07212006	-.001780456
10002	04162004	10202006	.029131973
10002	04192004	10202006	-.030040355
10002	04202004	10202006	.000595493
10002	04212004	10202006	.006547655
10002   12312006        10202006

It looks very strange, cause I have only 11 report dates, but around 700 dates of return for one permno. So the last repdats 10202006 repeats for the rest of observation.
Best Regards

Hua

-------- Original-Nachricht --------