Re: st: AW: can I get standardized coefficients by standardize variables first?

From   Eva Poen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: can I get standardized coefficients by standardize variables first?
Date   Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:33:11 +0000

Mandy,

as Martin demonstrated, missing values can lead to differing results.
In order to get identical results, you have to apply the
standardisation with respect to the estimation sample only
(observations with missing values will not be in the estimation
sample).

There are two ways to do this. Firstly, you could estimate your model
with regular (i.e. not standardised) coefficients and then make use of
e(sample):

xtreg y var1 var2 var3 var4, fe

foreach x of varlist y var1 var2 var3 var4 {
  egen std`x' = std(`x') if e(sample)
}

xtreg stdy stdvar1 stdvar2 stdvar3 stdvar4, fe

Alternatively, you could skip the first estimation and use the
missing() function:

foreach x of varlist y var1 var2 var3 var4 {
  egen std`x' = std(`x') if !missing(y,var1,var2,var3,var4)
}

However, be aware that missing values may also lurk in cluster or
weight variables; if so, make sure you include these variables in the
!missing() statement.

Hope this helps,
Eva