Re: st: AW: can I get standardized coefficients by standardize variables first?

From   Mandy fu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: can I get standardized coefficients by standardize variables first?
Date   Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:22:56 -0500

Dear Mr. Weiss,

Thanks for your reply!  You are right---it should be -foreach-- rather
than --local--.
What I meant and actually used is using --foreach--to standardize all
the variables. I don't know why I wrote into -local--. Thanks!

I think I kind of find why the results given by the two methods are
different. It maybe is due to missing values. That is, for some groups
, there are missing values for some years and for some indepent
variables.
------------------------------
group   year        y   var1  var2          var 3     var4
1           1981      1     1     missing      0           1
1           1982
1           1983
2           1981
2           1982
3           1981
3           1982
3           1983
For the first observation, it's included in the way "standardizing
varaibles first" because y , var1,var3-4 included this observation.
But it's excluded from the way "using beta option directly".

So, can I underdtand  that it is an alternative way to get beta
coefficents by standardized variables first and then use the regular
commands? This is the question I'm interested in.

Thanks a lot!
Mandy