RE: st: Custom error messages

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Custom error messages
Date   Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:13:18 -0000

To expand on this slightly:

Setting aside the implementation details, which are not of concern,
-error- is best thought of as a wrapper for -display as err- with some
generic message followed by -exit- and a non-zero return code.

Thus, if you want a different error message, or (less commonly) you want
a different or specific return code, you should fall back on -display-
followed by -exit-. It's certainly good style to add the return code.

Roger Harbord

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Brian Karfunkel <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Does anyone know how to output custom error messages? By this I mean
> either or both of:
>
> a) inserting my own strings into the "_______"s listed in error files.
> So, while "confirm variable foo" produces "variable foo not found;
> r(111)", I want to be able to have a command throw an error 111 with a
> message like "index variable not found".
<snip>

display as error "index variable not found"
exit 111