Reply to [st:using saved values]

Subject   Reply to [st:using saved values]
Date   Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:22:07 +0100

David Lektzian asked how he can  "...call out saved values from something
like summarize and use them in future calculations." I replied with a
general example employing the auto dataset. Subsequently, David tried to
apply the -by- prefix, and it did not work. Nick recommended -egen-, and I
remarked that this often leads to redundancies in Stata datasets -save-d by
students.

I tried to reply to the thread yesterday, but the server did not deliver my
message, so I want to keep this important thread open this way. The -by-
prefix is allowed for many Stata commands, but applying it to a do-file will
not usually lead to desirable results. For this particular case, it is
indeed easier to -egen- variables, and -drop- them once you are done. So
David, I sincerely hope that I did not create too much fuss and that you
will be successful using Nick`s suggestion. If you can, close this thread
with a progress report :-)

HTH
Martin