RE: st: Re: (no subject)

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: (no subject)
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:42:57 -0800

First, don't apologize for not knowing all of Stata.  None of us do
(well, maybe with the exception of Nick Cox and Bill Gould).
If my understanding of Stata is correct, there is no distinction between
any type of numeric variable on read-in.  They are just integers, bytes,
longs, etc.  How they are used in the analysis determines their
categories.

If you have a dichotomy, summarizing it gives a proportion, although the
standard deviation is off a little (divide by n-1), I think the
proportion command will take care of that.
If you create a 2 way table, this implies the variable is categorical,
unless you do as I sometimes do and try to create a 2 way table with a
continuous variable (try not to do this with the client in the room!).
For various other applications, the xi prefix is quite handy - it
creates indicator variables for you automatically.  Some people don't
like it because the variable names are a bit ugly, especially with
interactions.

Anyway, good luck on your journey using Stata.  The Statalist is a
terrific resource.  Read some of the basic introductions to Stata such
as those by Acock, Juul, Kohler and Kreuter, or Hamilton. (disclosure:
I'm a close friend of Alan Acock)

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health