st: re: matrix manipulation

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: matrix manipulation
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:00:15 -0500

<>
Susan said

I would like to create a binary matrix (say matrix B) using
the existing information from current matrix A.

Specifically, for each cell (i,j) of matrix B, I want to
replace its value with 1 if the value of the corresponding
cell (i,j) of matrix A is less than the specified threshold
value. In other words, matrix B[i,j] = 1 if A[i,j] <
THRESHOLD.

No subscripting required:

--------------------------------
mata: mata clear
mata:
void underbar(string scalar mat,
              real scalar thresh)
{
	st_matrix("B", (st_matrix(mat) :< thresh))
}
end

sysuse auto,clear
qui reg price trunk weight length turn
mat list e(V)
mata: underbar("e(V)",0.0001)
mat list B

You could pass the name of the result matrix to Mata as well if you wanted this to be a bit more general.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html