Re: st: Newey west

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Newey west
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:04:38 -0500

Discussion of this error message with -newey- comes up from time to time on Statalist: search the archives for more. There are multiple reasons why this error may arise. Alice does not provide enough information to know for sure, but I suspect that her problem is either that the sample that is used in her estimation actually is not balanced (even if the overall sample may be), or the time interval between her date variables is not constant (even if the estimation sample is balanced). For example, a balanced panel with annual observations that skips a year will (rightly) throw up that error with -newey-. Jared's proposed solution will "solve" this problem from a computational perspective, but it arguably is not valid from an inferential one (although that conclusion depends on unstated details about the data structure and the research question).

For additional discussion on this topic recently, see, e.g.,:

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-10/msg00621.html>
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-10/msg00702.html>

Hope this helps,
Mike