Re: st: Multiple imputation showing missing values during imputation

From   "Nailing Xia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multiple imputation showing missing values during imputation
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:13:54 -0500

Thanks, Michael. I checked the lower bound and upper bound variables
as well as the interval variables for cases that Stata report imputed
values being missing, but didn't find anything that looks strange. As
a matter of fact, those cases are within an interval (i.e., both the
lower bound and upper bound variables have a valid but different
value, indicating that the interval variable should be imputed within
that range) that needs an imputation with -intreg-.

And here're the details of the dataset: I am using a longitudinal
dataset that follows over 10,000 children for several years. The
dataset has 5 waves, and in the model I included over 8,000
individuals. The -ice- command includes around 50 variables in
total--as some of the variables are time-specific but some are not,
the total number of variables are around 200. Options I used with
-ice- include "sub", "passive", "cmd", and "interval". For all imputed
variables (including categorical variables), I use -regress- (except
for those that are included in the "interval" option and thus use
-intreg-"). In "interval" option, I included 21 variables (out of over
200 variables included in -ice-), and 15 of them have the imputed
value missing problem as described earlier. The number of missing
cases range from 1 to 49. What happens is that Stata will replace the
missing cases with mean and continue imputing. Then at cycle 6 when it
is imputing one of the variable that has the imputed value missing
problem, Stata shows that "convergence not achieved" and stops
imputing (although I am not sure whether this problem relates to the
imputed value missing problem).

If you know anything about this problem, please help. Thanks a lot!

Nailing Xia