st: re: memory allocation problem

From   Gawrich Stefan <[email protected]>
Subject   st: re: memory allocation problem
Date   Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:14:30 +0100

> With my old computer (1G ram), I was able to allocate 1G memory for
STATA, but with my new computer (with much more ram, 3G) I can't
allocate memory more than 850m.
Do you know why?

I'm only able to avoid the "plague" in favor of Ubuntu Linux at home, but at
work I use 32-bit WinXP 2SP with Stata 10.1 and had the same problem (700m
limit having 2GB of Ram).

Stata support helped me in this case. They told me that Stata needs an
undivided adress room for memory allocation and sometimes other software
loads dll's somewhere in between.

The asked me to list the loaded dll's using:

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ListDlls.zip

and send the output in. From the list they could see that it was some dll of
my PGP-Software that caused the memory limit. With PGP closed I have 1,2 GB.
So perhaps some trial and error closing of other software and autoloaded
services could help very quickly.

Best wishes

Stefan Gawrich
Dillenburg