Re: st: METAGRAPH after META command - is it possible to truncate (manually define ticks)

From   "Tom Trikalinos" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: METAGRAPH after META command - is it possible to truncate (manually define ticks)
Date   Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:30:45 -0500

[sacrificed line]

I presume you do univariate analyses of sensitivity and specificity, I
assume that what you do makes good sense in your case and that you
prefer this way over bivariate meta-analysis.

It is not a very good idea to do the synthesis in the (untransformed)
proportion scale, especially if your proportions are all over the
place:

1. transform the proportions
2. do the synthesis in the transformed proportions
3. back transform the CI's of the studies and the summaries in the
proportion scale and use these values for your forest plot.

transformations commonly used:

A.
logit(sens) with variance =(1/TP + 1/FN)
logit(spec) with variance =(1/TN + 1/FP)

B.
the angular transformation is another option that stabilizes the
variances nicely. But no need to go there.

HTH

Thomas A. Trikalinos, MD

Co-Director, Tufts Medical Center Evidence-based Practice Center

Associate Director, Center for Clinical Evidence Synthesis

Mailing address:
Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies
Tufts Medical Center
800 Washington St
Boston, MA 02111

Physical address: