Re: st: Categorizing HIV status using a series of string variables

From   "Tom Trikalinos" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Categorizing HIV status using a series of string variables
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:17:42 -0500

in Stata 10, using your example below

// incident seroconverters are value 1
. gen group = (regexm(HIV, "NP") | regexm(HIV, "N\.+P"))

// prevalent positives are value 2
. replace group = 2 if !regexm(HIV, "N")

// consistently seronegatives are value 3
. replace group = 3 if !regexm(HIV, "P")

pretty sure this can become more elegant, but this should work.

hth

tom