st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Correlation coefficient between discrete and continuous variables

From   "Verkuilen, Jay" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Correlation coefficient between discrete and continuous variables
Date   Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:14:09 -0500

Correlation problems are usually described if not defined as symmetric,
i.e. results are invariant to which variable is labelled as predictor
and which response; indeed qua correlation such labelling is
meaningless. And there's no question of an error term. Does discriminant
analysis match those details? >>

No, but cancor and discriminant analysis aren't obviously the same yet
they are mathematically. Obviously a single predictor generates only one
canonical correlation. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I
missed the original post (stupid me) so I probably expressed an opinion
on the wrong thing anyway.