Re: st: RE: RE: Re: Separation anxiety (extreme penalty if mistype -separate- command)

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Re: Separation anxiety (extreme penalty if mistype -separate- command)
Date   Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:03:52 -0600

On 11/20/08, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am glad it wasn't a -separate- problem.
>
>  The command -separate- itself has never been abbreviatable. When it was
>  being written one small issue was whether the intended name leant itself
>  to minor spelling mistakes. ("separate" was one of those words I had to
>  check repeatedly in a dictionary.) The decision was that if the user
>  typed -sep_e_rate-, this is promptly corrected with a little message and
>  diversion of the command to -separate-, as some users may have
>  discovered. (That is, there is an undocumented -sep_e_rate- command.) (I
>  add the _ _ only to stop this mailer continually correcting the
>  misspelling.) This may still be the only instance in which Stata will
>  accept, and correct, incorrect spelling. An odd side-effect of this
>  episode is that my long-continued difficulties over the word have
>  disappeared.

That's a great idea. I think there should be more wrappers redirecting
-panel_regression- to -xtreg-, and furthermore
-correlation_between_a_continuous_and_a_discrete_variable- to
-polychoric-. Or may be something like Google's "I feel lucky" button
for -the_best_method_to_deal_with_heteroskedastic_truncated_two_way_panel_data-
which should be allowed to change as research on that particular area
progresses.