RE: st: RE: execute external program from within Stata?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: execute external program from within Stata?
Date   Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:31:49 -0000

Sergei's question and the answers to it imply indirectly that you could
work out from Even's reference to .exe files that he must be on Windows.

True, but no matter how many people know enough about Windows, Unix and
Macs to be clear that that should be so, everyone else gains from people
being completely clear about what platform(s) the question is about. And
no one loses by that. So, any questions that refer to the interactions
or relations between Stata and its computing environment should please
spell out the platform(s) being used. That has long been advised in the
Statalist FAQ.

Sergiy Radyakin

Just curious, which other (than Windows) platforms that Stata runs on,
have their executable files stored with extension .exe?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> This kind of thing is a little platform-dependent. You don't signal
> which platform(s) (operating system(s)) you are using. But otherwise
> your question is clear.
>
> A way of doing it is via a shell. See -help shell-.
>
> Windows users can often use -winexec-. See the same place.
>
> If you know the precise name and location of the executable, it's
> typically easy.

Even Bergseng