st: Re: execute external program from within Stata?

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: execute external program from within Stata?
Date   Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:45:56 -0500

<>
I realize that Stata no longer supports DOS. However the Windows "8.3" file-naming convention is that of DOS, with .exe, .bin, .hlp, .doc, .xls, .ppt etc. and a good deal of that lives on in Stata (ever wonder why someone would come up with a command named "wntstmvq"? It is a blessing that DOS support is gone, as it allowed getting away from clumsy abbreviations as Stata command names. Other operating systems are not limited to using three-letter filetypes (or any filetypes at all), and I suppose modern Windows no longer requires it either, as it tolerates .sthlp and several other non-trigraph file extensions in Stata.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html