Re: st: GLAMM and nested logit/probit

From   "Kristian Karlson" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: GLAMM and nested logit/probit
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:05:44 +0100

Dear Maarten,

Thank you ever so much for your answers. I am well acquainted with the Holm
& Jaeger paper, the selection problem in educational transition models
(sequential logit), and will look into the simulated likelihood routines. In
fact, a previous draft of the Holm & Jaeger paper is my main inspiration,
but the authors are looking at only two transitions. The nlogit suggestion
is also brilliant (also for eventual starting values in later models).

However, I believe I haven't fully explained my project (here goes). The
main point of the study is to delve into what the unobserved components in
educational decisions consist of, i.e. describing the latent classes that
account for unobserved heterogeneity with variables that indicate different
forms of motivation. This strategy might seem a bit confusing or
unconventional, because I could control for these variables in the main
equation. However, the idea was to include concomitants for the latent class
memberships and, in doing so, try to delve into the "contents" of the
unobserved heterogeneity. This is possible in -gllamm-.

Nonetheless, I am still very interested if you or anyone else could help me
with the syntax on doing a more complex transition models in -gllamm-, i.e.
a model as the one I have stated in the main thread (with a nested
structure). The main point is that the more complex a model (i.e. the more
realistic model of the educational system), the better the identification of
the unobserved heterogeneity influencing educational decisions net of
respondent background characteristics (family background, gender, ability,
etc.).

All the best,
Kristian