Re: st: Writing graphs to the log file

From   "David Elliott" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Writing graphs to the log file
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:54:11 -0400

Ashim - I will forward the files in a separate eMail

Nick - my previous comments were not intended to attribute
responsibility for -log2html- not being able to handle certain types
of content.  As you have correctly indicated, -file write- does not
appear able to deal with unbalanced quotes, even when maximally
cosseted within code like:
-file write `ho' `"`macval(line)'"' _n-  The approach I have taken in
the -grlog2html- derivative of -log2html- is to use a series of
-filefilter- commands to replace all quotes with "html entities" which
function in a manner similar to -char(#)-.  If -grlog2html- can
successfully handle gnarly* input it could substitute for -log2html-
as its output is much the same when the nograph option is used. (But
hold the cheers from the sidelines - there are plenty of opportunities
to fumble the baton)

I would still like to see some discussion regarding having graphs in
logs.  Users of other statistical software packages know that logs can
be created with the inclusion of graphs.  One of Stata's strengths has
been its adherence to an easily readable and mutable logfile format.
Stata Corp may have no stomach for the complexities of creating a
cross-platform SMCL viewer capable of displaying graphical content or
modifying -log- to automatically create and store graphs.  My
experiences with -gr2log:- have shown me that the "-log-istics" can be
significant.

David Elliott, MD, MSc

* Gnarly from the surfing dictionary: Depicting an unrideable or
intimidating wave or something really bad.