RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution

From   Linn Renée Naper <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:17:59 +0100

Hi

The command from you Maarten works well with regard to generating a new variable with a
bimodal distribution.

I have generated a bimodal variable, one for each observation,
and then added it to the original price.

But, I am still not sure how adding this kind of variable to the original prices will help me
to change the distribution in the way I want to.
At least I haven't yet figured out exactly how this may be done.

I want to "force" the old prices into having a "new distributional shape" with two peaks,
but I do not necessarily want to change the global mean very much. My prices have the
following distribution (in case it may be useful to know in order to comment on this):

  variable |      mean       min       max        sd  variance       p25       p50       p75
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       mip |  60.28128  8.918235  776.2332  39.47987   1558.66  36.53056  48.77862  69.81553

I realize that the distribution of the "new prices"
will vary with how I define means and sd of the bimodal variable.

Moreover, the prices will be changed randomly even though the changes are
drawn from a bimodal distribution, so what I might need is some weighting of the observations
in order to get the "shape" that I want.

Alternatively, is there a way to for example redefine the percentiles in an
already existing distribution perhaps? Or in some other way imposing the distributional change
directly to the original data (the original price)?

Thanks