RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution

From   Linn Renée Naper <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:41:33 +0100

Thanks a lot, I will try this and see how it works!

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] På vegne av Maarten buis
Sendt: 17. november 2008 11:45
Til: [email protected]
Emne: Re: st: from normal to bimodal distribution

--- Linn Renée Naper <[email protected]> wrote:
> How do I tell Stata to draw random variables or generate a stochastic
> variable with a bimodal distribution? Can the rnd-command by Hilde be
> used?

You can create a mixture of Gaussian (normal) distributions, like in
the example below: the local p represents the probability of belonging
to group 1, the locals mu1 and mu2 represents the means of group 1 and
2 respectively, and the locals sd1 and sd2 the standard deviations in
group 1 and group 2.

*--------------- begin example -----------------
drop _all
set obs 10000

local p = .5

local sd1 = .75
local sd2 = 1.5

local mu1 = -2
local mu2 = 2

gen u = uniform()
gen e = invnorm(uniform()) * ///
        cond(u < `p', `sd1', `sd2') + ///
        cond(u < `p', `mu1', `mu2')

hist e
*---------------- end example ---------------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis