Re: st: predicted probabilities

From   "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: predicted probabilities
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:14:06 -0300

Dear Mona, Maarten and Statalisters,

reading Maarten's answer, I would like to ask if this procedure is correct:

******
" // creating predictions while keeping other variables constant
 // predicted probabilities of urban women of average age
 preserve
 sum age if e(sample), meanonly
 replace age = r(mean)
 replace female = 1
 replace rural = 0

 predict pra*, pr
 table race , c(m pra1 m pra2 m pra3 m pra4 m pra5)

 restore"
***************
because the value of r(mean) (sample) is different of svy: mean (population):

webuse nhanes2f, clear
svyset psuid [pweight=finalwgt], strata(stratid)
. svy: mean age
(running mean on estimation sample)

Survey: Mean estimation

Number of strata =      31       Number of obs    =      10337
Number of PSUs   =      62       Population size  =  117023659
                                 Design df        =         31

             |             Linearized
             |       Mean   Std. Err.     [95% Conf. Interval]
-------------+------------------------------------------------
         age |   42.23732   .3034412      41.61844    42.85619

. sum age if e(sample)

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
         age |     10337     47.5637    17.21678         20         74

If I am using svy: mlogit, the mean to be used isn´t the populational?

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Joao Lima

Joao Ricardo Lima