st: RE: RE: from normal to bimodal distribution

From   Linn Renée Naper <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: from normal to bimodal distribution
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:36:05 +0100

As I am currently researching this myself, I just bumped into
"ssc install skbim".

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] På vegne av Linn Renée Naper
Sendt: 17. november 2008 11:23
Til: [email protected]
Emne: st: RE: from normal to bimodal distribution

(just tried to make it more "reader-friendly"):

I have a distribution of prices which is normally distributed, somehow skewed to the left.
I am working on some manipulations of the prices, and have been adding stochastic elements
generated by using the invnorm(uniform())-command in Stata playing around with imposing
different standard deviations on the new random variable.
However, I'd like to change the price structure so that the new distribution has two peaks
(bimodal) instead of just one.
How do I tell Stata to draw random variables or generate a stochastic variable with a bimodal distribution?
Can the rnd-command by Hilde be used?
As I'd like to "force" the distribution into being bimodal an alternative is maybe to generate
two different normal variables and add the values to different parts of the dataset. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

I have a distribution of prices which is normally distributed, somehow skewed to the left. I am working on some manipulations of the prices, and have been adding stochastic elements generated by using the invnorm(uniform())-command in Stata playing around with imposing different standard deviations on the new random variable. However, I'd like to change the price structure so that the new distribution has two peaks (bimodal) instead of just one.
How do I tell Stata to draw random variables or generate a stochastic variable with a bimodal distribution? Can the rnd-command by Hilde be used?
As I'd like to "force" the distribution into being bimodal an alternative is maybe to generate two different normal variables and add the values to different parts of the dataset. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks
Linn