RE: st: RE: if and if

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: if and if
Date   Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:26:43 -0000

Dear Ashim:

You make the same point and you should not be surprised that my reply is
the same. Sure, you find this "natural" but you did not design Stata.
The ambiguity of

if exp ...

meaning one thing when the result of exp is a single true or false value
and another thing when the result is a variable's worth is not in my
view a desirable feature. What's much more important is that Bill Gould
disagreed with you in 1985.

Those of us who grew up with Fortran, C or similar languages I suggest
find it natural that the expression in

if exp {

is single-valued. So, whose taste prevails?

It may not help much now, but my prediction is that once you have been
using Stata for 17 years, you will have come to agree with Bill Gould's
decision. (It should take much less.)

Ashim Kapoor

Dear Nick,

I think it is lacking because : it seemed to me that it is natural to
think that

if ( var1==2) {

replace var2==3
replace var3==4

}

in this case the program should be SMART enough to do the replacements
in corresponding observations and not only work in the 1st
observations,etc .

I mean if someone DOES NOT know Stata (but he does know that each var
in stata is a column vector ) and the 1st observation rule, what would
he think on the FIRST look at this code. Surely it would seem that the
changes would be made in the corresponding observations.

Seems intuitive to me. And it has everyday use in my programming.
Maybe for other reasons as you point out the people who programmed it
did not let it work that way and they may be right.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> This business of the two -if-s has confused many people.
>
> (Incidentally, I think -cond()- is a red herring as far as this
question
> is concerned. It is without doubt very useful, but it has no bearing
on
> the matter.)
>
> But what Ashim wants is, I think, not "in between" at all. He wants
what
> he calls Type 2 -- the -if- command -- to do the same as what he calls
> Type 1 -- the -if- qualifier -- when both are based on tests on
> variables.
>
> However, it doesn't, and no amount of hoping, wishing, pushing or
> shoving will make it so -- apart from one borderline exception.
>
> His query raises the question of why Stata has the two constructs if
> they are really identical. But they aren't.
>
> It often happens that people used to some construct in other languages
> would like to see Stata behave that way, and vice versa, but that's
the
> way it is. If you go to users' meetings (e.g. today and tomorrow in
San