Re: st: Re: Memory

From   "Victor M. Zammit" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Memory
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:41:19 +0100

* a} The data that I have is from generating random samples of whatever
size,in this case of size 31,from a normally distributed,infinitely large,
population; ie

local i = 1

while `i'<= 40000 {

drop _all

set obs 31

gen a = invnorm(uniform())

qui ttest a = 0

replace a = r(t) in 1

keep in 1

save a`i',replace

local i = `i'+1

}

* I use 40000 due to memory constraint.Appending the a[i]'s together gives
me a variable of 40000 observations ,ie

use a1,clear

local i = 2

while `i'<= 40000 {

append using a`i'.dta

local i = `i'+1

}

save ais40000,replace

* b) From ais40000.dta I get the density <= 1.31, presumably to get the
density of 90% , <= 1.697 to get the density of 95% etc etc,according to the
official ttable, ie

capture program drop density

program define density

use ais40000,clear

count if a<= `1'

di " density >=" "`1'" " = " r(N)/40000

end

density 1.31

density 1.697

density 2.042

density 2.457

density 2.75

* For smaller degrees of freedom,the discrepancy is much higher.I would like
to know how if it is at all possible to resolve memory constraint .