RE: st: variable that counts double observations..

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: variable that counts double observations..
Date   Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:38:35 -0000

Ashim: I can only comment on what you post. If you post incorrect or inefficient code people are likely to spot it.

You are correct insofar as your original solution, minus a line that was illegal, plus a line replacing it,  plus a line that is a fix gets you where the questioner appears to want to be.

You can also get there directly in one line.

My earlier post has appeared on Statalist. See the archives if you are still missing it.

Ashim Kapoor

Nick,

I know it is not exactly what is written but it does the job of
grouping 2 consecutive variables and hence can be used in the by
command. To refine it you may say

egen j=group(var)

then we will have 1 1 2 2  3 3 etc.

By the way I never got your 1st post. Email got eaten up I guess.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> The first line won't work, as already explained in my earlier posting.
>
> But suppose you had a variable with values 1 up.
>
> The second line would replace 1,2,3,4,5,6, ... with 1,1,3,3,5,5,...
> which is not what I think is being asked for.

Ashim Kapoor