Re: st: counting the number of times a string appears in a string variable?

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: counting the number of times a string appears in a string variable?
Date   Wed, 5 Nov 2008 01:14:36 -0500

Mingfeng,

Do your strings always look as in your example? Here is one solution
to your problem.

clear
set obs 1
gen x = "johnabc johncd"
split x
forval i = 1/2 {
  gen john`i' = regexm(x`i',"john")
}
egen y = rowtotal(john1 john2)
list, noobs

|              x        x1       x2   john1   john2   y |
| johnabc johncd   johnabc   johncd       1       1   2 |

Friedrich