Re: st: Combining household and personal level weights - is this possible?

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Combining household and personal level weights - is this possible?
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:34:03 -0500

Larraine-

I am assuming that you are not doing a multi-level model. If so, then is your response variable a characteristic of the individual respondent? of all people in the household? If the first, then use the person-weight for the respondent. You may still include household variables as predictors. You need only specify weights appropriate for unit with the response.

It would be helpful if you would describe concretely the study design and also some of the regressions you are planning. But here are some thoughts on possible scenarios:

Example:
1. A single man and a single woman are selected per HH and interviewed. Your outcome is measured only for the interviewed person (their age, their health). For this analysis you use the person-weights, but you can include any HH variables you wish as predictors.

2. A household respondent is asked questions about the household--for example what the building material is. In this question, the "house" is the unit on which the outcome is being measured and the household weight applies.

3.A household respondent is asked questions about him or herself and other people in the house--for example, whether each have had a specific illness. If your outcome includes the other people, then all , plus the respondent, get the household weight.

I hope this helps.

-Steve