Re: st: append to an empty dataset

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: append to an empty dataset
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:41:28 -0500

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Johannes Geyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had/have that problem too and most often I have to create a cycle and an
> exception (the first data set). Reading throught your posts I thought why
> not add that option -gen tempvar- to append when using it?
>
> Wouldn't that suffice?:

Yes, and the program can be further improved to check if there are
variables already present, and generate tempvar only for the empty
dataset (because currently it will generate tempvar 100 times for 100
datasets, and only 1 is required). It can also brunch inside to use or
append depending on whether there is anything in memory. In any case
this special treatment of the first dataset is a very unnecessary
effort, which could have been easily avoided.

Thank you,
   Sergiy Radyakin