st: RE: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue

Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue
Date   Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:22:26 +0100

32 bit Windows is limited to about 3.1 G of RAM if I am not mistaken. But I
agree with you that there should be no reduction in -set mem- capability. 64
bit Windows allows me to set 3G without any fuss, so if you buy a new
computer anyway, definitely go for it. The upgrade for Stata is pretty
cheap...

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tharyan, Rajesh
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 4:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue

Hi,

Martin thanks..

I use  win/xp pro (34 bit). Earlier with 2gb I could allocate 900m but now I
have 4gb but I cannot allocate more than 710M. Also this is a brand new
system, and apart from ms office and a few programs I have nothing on the
system (so I have fewer processes running than before).

I understand if I switch to a 64bit OS I can use more of the memory. But
even with the 34 bit OS shouldn't I be able to access at least as much as I
could before?

rajesh