Re: st: RE: 64-bit Windows OS advice

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: 64-bit Windows OS advice
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:22:42 -0400

Hi,

XP Server 64,  8 CPUs / 16g with ~3 users running multiple
applications 24/7. Works fine.
Note that (all?) 64 bit OSs are unlikely to support 16-bit Windows
applications (i.e. Windows 3.11 and earlier programs).
Check this and google for other references if it matters:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458

You are probably not going to install a 16- or 32-bit Stata there
anyways. Otherwise there should be no difference for a 64bit OS.
[BTW: Which Stata was first 32-bit Stata? Which was the last DOS-only Stata?]

Most quotes regarding "slower" performance often boil down to
"semitransparent windows not sliding smoothly when my font smoothing
is set to reflect the light shading of my textures simulation
renderer..." As if anyone cared! Stas mentioned some things (like
update agents, etc) that you might want to shut down or reconfigure.
In most cases it makes no sense to compare out-of-the-box OS
performance, because with a few clicks you can change that.It is up to
you how much time you want to invest into this process.

Since most of Stata's binary code is written in C (and binary code is
not the most of the code, as Bill Gould stressed Mata is becoming more
important) and it's specifically written to be movable across
platforms, there will be few if any code which would be sensible to
your OS version (WinXP or Vista).

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin