st: 64-bit Windows OS advice

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: 64-bit Windows OS advice
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:29:00 -0400

My posts don't seem to be going through the last few days, but
I'll try again.

1. I've been using 64-bit XP for almost 2 years, and it has been
    rock solid. I have 16gb RAM, but since the OS was pre-installed
    I don't know if there were any detection issues.

2. I got a free Vista upgrade a few months after I got the machine,
    but I never bothered to install it. So no idea if Vista is any
    faster, but have heard it is a bit bloated.

3. I have had trouble with a couple of 32-bit applications, mainly
    HLM6; however the developer sent me a recompiled 64-bit version
    and that has worked fine. Most 32-bit apps run fine; I run 32-bit
    SAS without any trouble, and 64-bit Stata of course! However, if
    there is a particular 32-bit app you can't live without, make
    sure it works.

I'll just add that this 64-bit machine sits in the corner doing nothing
but number crunching, almost all in Stata. I suspect a lot of the issues
people have with 32-bit apps involve graphic intensive applications;
the people at XI tossed in a high end video card I didn't order (they
called me a couple of times to make sure I _really_ didn't want high
powered graphics on my high powered machine), but I've never really
tested it out with any demanding video games (because I don't have
any...).

Hope this helps,
Jeph