st: question on xtile using cutpoints

From   Sharon Kane <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question on xtile using cutpoints
Date   Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:44:20 -0400 (EDT)

I'm hoping that I am just missing something simple.  I have figures for a benchmark year that are assigned quintiles based on how the local county figure compares to a national figure.  I want to apply these benchmark cutpoints to the same calculations for future year(s) using the xtile command with cutpoints.  Can't seem to make it work, no matter how I try it.  This is the basic technique I am using:

xtile [new varname] = [var containing the numbers I want separated into quintiles], cut[benchmark figure quintiles]

Using this technique (and many variations of it), I can't use nq(5) to identify how many cutpoints.  Any suggestions?  Is there a better way?

Thanks