st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable
Date   Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:22:46 -0400

< >
Eva is correct. Two objects that differ by 10^-16 are not identical. The point I was making that in practice one can usually consider them to be so. From a computer science standpoint, as I indicated earlier, scalars hold their contents in binary and avoid conversion to and from string form (which is what lives in a macro). In practice one should never test something that is held as a real number for equality, as many Stata FAQs and Stata Tips suggest. But my original point is that storing something as a macro---for instance, a regression coefficient, held internally with ~15-digit accuracy---will be just about as accurate as storing it as a scalar. Yes, the macro version will be an approximate representation, but most of us don't sweat getting the 15th digit right. As was once said (by Norbert Weiner to John von Neumann, I recall) "Economics is a one or two digit science".

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html