Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable
Date   Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:22:29 +0100

Kit,

thank you for your reply. I have in front of me my old NetCourse 152
(Stata 8!) which says:
"Scalars give us a way of obtaining a perfect binary copy of the
binary number in ...".

Later on, it says: "In short, you must use scalars if you plan to
obtain a value from the data and then, later, test the data for exact
equality with that value. In all other cases, use scalars when you
need greater accuracy."

And here is an example showing that the local macro is not the same as
the scalar. Am I misunderstanding something completely?

Thanks,
Eva

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. replace foreign = 1.10101 if foreign==0
foreign was byte now float
(52 real changes made)

. replace foreign = 1.20101 if foreign==1
(22 real changes made)

. sum foreign

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
     foreign |        74     1.13074    .0460189    1.10101    1.20101

. local min = r(min)

. scalar Min = r(min)

. count if foreign==`min'
    0