Re: st: RE: Data consistency heuristics

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Data consistency heuristics
Date   Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:33:01 -0400

Thank you, Peter and Maarten.

I probably need to be more specific: I know how to implement e.g.
range check, but I am looking for the rules themselves. E.g. what do
people check, before they conclude that the value reported for e.g.
age is plausible/possible? For example, the DHS study considers birth
intervals inconsistent if they are less than 7 months: "For key events
in the respondent' s life, dates have been imputed when the full date
of the event was not provided by the respondent or in some cases if
dates are inconsistent (e.g. less than 7 months between births)."
(quote from http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/DHSG4/Recode1DHS.pdf)

What is the preferred ranking of the rules? E.g. data shows that a
person is 5 years old and enrolled into a university. I have a feeling
that this is inconsistent. I'd probably trust age more in this case,
rather than education and keep age=5, but replace univ_attend=missing.
However if the person answered a dozen of other questions related to
the university curriculum, subjects and courses, then probably the age
is incorrect. In any case I will give the user an opportunity to
review all these detected questionable cases. So some false positives
are fine, but missed errors are not ok. In some cases it's hard to say
if there is an error, e.g. if incomes are all reported in multiples of
100, I'd still like to notify the user that there is some bunching
going on.

I know this all really depends on the particular case and there is no
silver bullet. But just in case someone knows a good cookbook of such
checks, please let me know.

Does S.Juul really have this explained in his book? or is it
explanation how replace/recode/assert/confirm work?

Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin