RE: st: Best laptop specifications to run version 9.0 and 10

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Best laptop specifications to run version 9.0 and 10
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:14:58 -0400

Adrian wrote:
>[...]
>
>I want to know what are the best specifications for a laptop in order
>to run Stata with a big dataset, that keeps growing.  I am not doing a
>lot of statistical simualtions, but from time to time need to run some
>marginal effects for logits/ probits and when I RESHAPE some of the
>databases, it takes over 20 minutes in my current laptop (over 3 years
>old).
>
>One of the main issues i am facing in my current laptop, is that if
>keeping other applications running (excel, or outlook) makes stata to
>fail to save files back in my hardisk
>
>Laptop is important because I telecomute and mobility is a plus.  I
>guess the question can be framed as what is more important RAM versus
>proccessor speed?  Or AMD versus Intel processors?  Speed of hard disk?
>
>is there any other configuration specification that I am overlooking?
>
>I you have bought a new laptop recently to run stata, i appreciate if
>you can let me know the particular specs and budget
>
>thanks
>
>Adrian

David wrote:
Let me step around your question. When you experience these episodes of
slow performance, you might be using virtual memory. If so, then a
memory upgrade may be what you need, rather than a whole new computer.
Generally a memory upgrade can significantly improve performance in many
situations, and is much more economical than getting a new computer.

You said that the presence of other applications causes Stata to fail to
do certain things. That shouldn't happen; it might slow thing down to a
crawl, but it shouldn't cause any other effects within Stata. If that's
really happening, I'd call it an operating system problem.

On the other hand, when I need to use large amount of memory, I'm
inclined to close down all those other applications (and run only one
instance of Stata) -- to avoid those problems.

If you do get a new computer, and if you run procedures that involve a
lot of temp files (e.g., -reshape-), then you may want to go for a fast
hard drive.

If you do get a new computer, and it's a PC, you may be forced into
getting Vista, which some people find to be a disadvantage. That's a
whole other story.

HTH
--David

Adrian,

I used Stata v9 in a Compaq, HP and Lenovo laptops. I do not remember
tech specifications but I like lenovo pretty much. I am not clear
that if was lenovo itself or the fact that the laptop included few
applications.

Any laptop will be ok as long as you have large amount of RAM available
and a fast processor. Note that "RAM available" implies to have few
application running at the same time. Running Stata I used to close my
messenger, that is a negative shoch in productivity anyway.

Laptops do not last forever, but you could keep yours in good shape:
(1) Avoid to running it for very long time, (2) Let it breathe (do not
cover the bottom), (3) Do not use it in "shaking trips" like commuter
trains in Boston.

My two UF's ("Unidad de Fomento" indexed chilean currency)

Rodrigo.
PS: I have no relation with IBM.

ADVERTENCIA: La  informaci�n  contenida  en  esta  transmisi�n, y  en  cualquier archivo  adjunto, est�  sujeta a reserva legal conforme a la normativa aplicable  al  Banco  Central  de  Chile, y  no  puede  ser usada o difundida  por personas distintas  de  su o sus destinatarios. Si usted ha recibido esta transmisi�n por error,  por  favor  notifique  inmediatamente al remitente respondiendo por este mismo medio y elim�nela de su sistema.
El  Banco Central de Chile no se har� responsable de la exactitud y veracidad de la informaci�n contenida en este mensaje, as�  como  de su  modificaci�n, copia, divulgaci�n  o  reenv�o,  total  o  parcial.   Su  uso  no  autorizado puede ser sancionado de conformidad con las leyes chilenas.
El  Banco  Central  de  Chile  transmite  sus decisiones a trav�s de comunicados oficiales, los  que  pone  a  disposici�n  del p�blico en su p�gina de Internet: www.bcentral.cl

DISCLAIMER: The information  contained  in  this  email or any attached file, is subject to legal  privilege  pursuant  to the laws and regulations applicable to the Central  Bank  of  Chile , and may not be used or disseminated by any person other  than  its  intended recipients. If you have received this transmission in error, please  notify  the sender immediately by reply to this email address and delete it from your system.
The Central Bank  of  Chile shall not be liable for the accuracy or authenticity of the contents of this message, whether amended, copied, forwarded or disclosed in  any  form, in  whole  or  in part.  Please note that unauthorized use may be penalized  in  conformity  with  the  Chilean law.
The Central  Bank of Chile communicates its decisions by  official releases, and
makes them available to the public in its WebPages: www.bcentral.cl