st: heterogeneity-stata

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
Subject   st: heterogeneity-stata
Date   Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:10:18 +0100 (BST)

-- Jean-Pierre MINKOSSO EVOU wrote to me privately:
> I am estimate a discrete labour supply, the utility function that I
> specified is a quadratic one: U = a1 * Y+ b1 * h a1 + b11*Y2 + a11*h2
> + b1a1*Y * h + b1a1 *h*Y+ e where a1 b1 a11 and b11 are the
> parameters, epsilon the error term follows an extreme value
> distribution type I.  h is the labour supply et Y is the net income.
> Now to allow for the individual heterogeneity I wrote:
>
> b1 = a01 a02 *age + e
>
> The probability that an individual chooses to work for example 20
> hours is:
>
> P20 = exp (U) / sum of exp (U) (conditional logit model)
>
> My questions:
> o how can I introduce this heterogeneity in programming stata.
>
> o In estimating the probability the dependent variable is the h?
> otherwise how?

The statalist FAQ (point 5) http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
gives a number of reasons why it is better to sent questions directly
to the list instead of sending them to individual members. One of these
that the group knows more than any individual member, which is clearly
the case here: I have no idea what the answer is, which is why I
forwarded it to the list.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam