Re: st: overlapping histograms

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: overlapping histograms
Date   Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:55:01 -0400

Nick Cox wrote:
> It is good to know that you can do this. My guess is that many users
> would like to see it written up somewhere.
>
> However, these histograms tend to lead only to crude inferences. Users
> can't read off quantitative conclusions from the graph, just stuff
> like "The distributions are about the same", or "... very different",
> etc.

It all depends on the audience, doesn't it? This is for a
presentation about quality improvement in health care for
a certain treatment. The mantra for many years has been
that you don't want to fix just the poor performers - you
want to "shift the curve". It's the right mantra, because
every patient benefits (here, from faster treatment times);
and for the mantra, this is the right figure to show people
responsible for improving patient care. In three years, the
national curve shifted noticeably.

Not exactly on list topic, but the point is that Stata is
only improved by letting users do what they want in graphics
(striped bars comes to mind...).

cheers,
Jeph