Re: st: re: merge (?) problem

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: merge (?) problem
Date   Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:22:10 +0100

Ashim Kapoor wrote:
> Yes indeed. but how would you do the FIRST step that is guessing that
> you have to do " findit WORD". How would you guess that it is WORD
> which is the magic word? THAT is the key in the stata learning curve.
> That at least I am unable to think which magic word to key in. Maybe
> it is obvious to you.

Personally I'd have started at a different point to Kit.

You're working with local macros, as you clearly demonstrated with your
code so reading -man local- would be the obvious and intuitive place to
start.  Theres no obvious solution to your problem there, but there are
multiple references to -extended_fcn-, and the (possibly) intutitively
titled -tokenize- which could have been used as part of a solution to
your original problem.  The -extended_fcn- isn't obvious, but given its
prominence I'd have clicked through to read that which would have
mentioned the relevant macro for -word count string-.

In this instance there is no need for a "magic keyword", its just a case
of reading the documentation and related help pages for the functions
your using.

There is a definate art to searching though, you no doubt employ it when
searching the wider web/internet and the same approach can be applied
with a high degree of success to searching for a solution to a problem
with Stata (whether your searching Stata's help files, the archives or
the web at large).  A bit of trial and error, reading the results to see
if they are pretinent, and patience and perserverence  will usually get
you there (it might have got you to -renvars-).

Neil

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail