Re: Re: st: How to link the help file for a command to its immediate version (or generally add aliases)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: How to link the help file for a command to its immediate version (or generally add aliases)
Date   Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:02:00 -0500

Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote in response to Sergiy Radyakin
<[email protected]> suggestion to alter the mhelp_alias.maint
file distributed as part of Stata:

> I am not writing on behalf of StataCorp but it's my understanding that
> user modifications to *.maint are entirely at your discretion, meaning
> peril, and that there are absolutely no promises by StataCorp to pay any
> attention to any user modifications to *.maint. In two words, my advice
> is "Keep off" -- and I'll add, even if you think you know exactly what
> you are doing.

Nick is correct in warning you away from editing the file.  Stata
updates will overwrite your edited file.  Do not edit the files
that are part of ado/base/ or ado/updates/.

The proper way to link help files is as outlined already by
others:  create the help file with one line starting with ".h "
and then the name of the help file you want to link to.

========= begin myhelp.hlp ================
.h someotherhelp

Then -help myhelp- will be redirected to -help someotherhelp-.
This used to be the way all of Stata help redirection was
handled.  The .maint files came along later for StataCorp use.

Ken Higbee    [email protected]
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC