st: RE: getting a list into a macro

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: getting a list into a macro
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:54:55 +0100

In the auto data, I might proceed as follows:

**** BEGINNING OF Stata RESULTS - CUT HERE
. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. local makes ""

. local nmake=_N

. forv i1=1(1)`nmake' {
  2. local makecur=make[`i1']
  3. local makes `"`makes' `makecur'"'
  4. }

. disp `"`makes'"'
 AMC Concord AMC Pacer AMC Spirit Buick Century Buick Electra Buick
LeSabre Buick Opel Buick Regal Buick Riviera Buick Skylark Cad. Deville
Cad. Eldorado Cad. Sevill
> e Chev. Chevette Chev. Impala Chev. Malibu Chev. Monte Carlo Chev.
Monza Chev. Nova Dodge Colt Dodge Diplomat Dodge Magnum Dodge St. Regis
Ford Fiesta Ford Mustang
>  Linc. Continental Linc. Mark V Linc. Versailles Merc. Bobcat Merc.
Cougar Merc. Marquis Merc. Monarch Merc. XR-7 Merc. Zephyr Olds 98 Olds
Cutl Supr Olds Cutlass
> Olds Delta 88 Olds Omega Olds Starfire Olds Toronado Plym. Arrow Plym.
Champ Plym. Horizon Plym. Sapporo Plym. Volare Pont. Catalina Pont.
Firebird Pont. Grand Pri
> x Pont. Le Mans Pont. Phoenix Pont. Sunbird Audi 5000 Audi Fox BMW
320i Datsun 200 Datsun 210 Datsun 510 Datsun 810 Fiat Strada Honda
Accord Honda Civic Mazda GLC
> Peugeot 604 Renault Le Car Subaru Toyota Celica Toyota Corolla Toyota
Corona VW Dasher VW Diesel VW Rabbit VW Scirocco Volvo 260

.
**** END OF Stata RESULTS - CUT HERE

HOWEVER, if I thought that the variable -make- might contain irregular
characters, such as quotes, then I might replace the command

local makes `"`makes' `makecur'"'

with the Mata invocation

mata: st_local("makes",st_local("makes")+" "+st_local("makecur"))

and replace the command

disp `"`makes'"'

with the Mata invocation

mata: printf(st_local("makes")+"\n")