RE: st: Modify large data base without opening it

Subject   RE: st: Modify large data base without opening it
Date   Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:34:18 +0200

Stat/Transfer also comes to mind. You can fire it up from Stata via -ssc d
stcmd-.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael I.
Lichter
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Modify large data base without opening it

*Some* program has to open the file in order to change it, but that
program doesn't have to be Stata. Nevertheless, if it's taking a long
time in Stata, it's going to take a long time in whatever program you
choose. I suggest switching temporarily to a computer with more RAM,
dropping the variables you don't want, compressing the whole thing, and
then moving back to your regular computer.

You have other options, like opening it in Excel 2007, using SAS or
SPSS, or writing a script in perl, awk, python, or something other
language, but it's very unlikely to be worth the extra effort.

Michael

Jos� Luis Ch�vez Calva wrote:
> I'm working with a very large data base (1000m, 2000 vars) and my PC
> is taking too long to open it. I would like to know if there is a way
> or a specific command to drop some variables without actually opening
> the data base.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jos� Luis Ch�vez Calva

Michael I. Lichter, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor & NRSA Fellow
UB Department of Family Medicine / Primary Care Research Institute
UB Clinical Center, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215
Office: CC 125 / Phone: 716-898-4751 / E-Mail: [email protected]