Re: st: survival analysis

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: survival analysis
Date   Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:55:40 +0200

Moleps wrote:

I've got several questions where I would greatly appreciate feedback

1) Reading the medical literature most retrospective survival analysis
is done with Kaplan Meier curves. Is it not more appropriate to use
cox graphs where other covariates have been adjusted for?

2) Some report both univariate and then multivariate data on their
variables. What is the correct thing to do?

3)I'm unable to make my individual graphs in stata v10.1 appear with
diamonds, triangles and squares instead of the multitude of colors. I
can change the line pattern, but I cant find a way to report the lines
with diamons etc. Surely this must be possible-But despite several
days of working on this I cant manage..

4) is there an option to make a table that I can put beneath the graph
delineating the number of patients in the different groups at
different timepoints?

Carlo responded to some of the questions.

Re 3:
This looks like a bad idea to me. It can be done by somehow combining
-sts generate- with -twoway scatter- using the -connect(J)- option,
but it will look very ugly, putting a marker at each bend of each curve.

Re 4:
With Stata 10, use the -risktable- option to -sts graph-:

     clear
     sysuse cancer.dta
     stset studytime, failure(died==1)
     sts graph, by(drug) risktable