st: generate sum by categorical variable

From   Shehzad Ali <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: generate sum by categorical variable
Date   23 Sep 2008 17:45:38 +0100

Hi,

I have an individual patient level data with two variables of interest, one is the number of weeks spent by each patient in the study (values between 1 and 52) and other being stratum they belong to (values between 1 and 3). I want to generate a new variable (total_weeks) that summarises the total number of weeks spent by each stratum. So the new variable will have 3 values only, one for each stratum. I can obviously use -sum- and -r(sum) to generate separate variables by strata but I was wondering there must be a quicker way of doing it in one line. Can you advise please?

Thank you,

Shehzad
*
* For searches and help try: