Re: st: mata 9

To   [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: mata 9
Date   Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:07:26 -0500

At 04:12 PM 9/22/2008, Sergiy Radyakin wrote:
Dear All,

how do I tell Mata (in Stata 10), that the *.mo file that it compiles
must be compatible with Stata 9? Currently if I compile in Stata 10, I
can't use the resulting program in Stata 9. :(

Thank you,
   Sergiy Radyakin
There are probably other ways, but personally I keep Stata 7, 8, 9 and 10 installed on my machine. I don't know about Mata, but in ado files version commands don't guarantee that your code will work with older versions of Stata; rather, they guarantee that your code will continue to work right with future versions of Stata. e.g. if my code says -version 9.2-, a new 10.1 command will still work in Stata 10.1 but won't work in Stata 9.2.

So in general, if you want to be sure something will work right with an earlier version of Stata, it is best to write or at least test it with that version of Stata. At least that is true for ado files - perhaps it is different for Mata.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam