st: RE: R: MICE-Imputation: dealing with "plausible missings" and multilevel data

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: R: MICE-Imputation: dealing with "plausible missings" and multilevel data
Date   Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:10:58 -0400

///

Cornelia,

We have a similar problem but in a different setting: level, and groups.

(1) Level: It seems that you need to define at what level you want to do the imputation. In our case, we are working with household surveys then we have 2 levels of information: individuals and households. Our goal is to have an analysis of debt/income/asset then household level is the one we choose. Given our experience in the last Stata meeting at UK we conclude that we need to do some conditional imputation at the individual level, such as Hot-Deck or maybe some non-proper imputation method. With that in hand we could add that information at the next level (households). For example, missing observations in labor income could be "solved" by some previous conditional imputation in order to provide some estimate for the total household income, which will be the sum of individual ones.

(2) Groups: We conclude that conditions on variables define groups of observations. Again, in our household survey we have cases with and without bank loans. In this case we consider 2 groups to do the imputation. It should be noted that: we cannot impute some amount of bank loans for households without it, and also we cannot force that without bank loans implies zero bank loans. In our case, those households do not have that kind of loans for a specific reason: they do not have access to them. As you see creating groups implies a huge task in the sense that we need to specific some particular kind of household in the combination of many variables. However, this makes more sense than imputing any value and then putting the true missing back.

I hope this helps you.
Best regards, Rodrigo.