Re: st: Median test & ANOVA with sampling weights

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Median test & ANOVA with sampling weights
Date   Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:53:53 -0400

hafida--

1. "Since it's not a case control study, I thought that comparing those with and without diabetes was inappropriate"

That's not correct. You want to compare diabetics to the whole population. This is *equivalent* to comparing diabetics to non- diabetics. There is no stata command which compare part of a sample with the whole sample, but there are plenty (-cendif-) is one, which will compare a part to the other part and give you a CI for the difference.

This is easiest to illustrate with means: Suppose the mean for diabetics for a variable is 10 and that for non-diabetics is 10. The difference is zero. If diabetics are 10% of the population, the mean for the population is (.1 x 10) + (.9 x 10) = 1 + 9 = 10. The difference between this and the diabetics' mean is also zero. On the other hand, suppose that the mean for non-diabetics is 20; the difference from the mean of the diabetics is 10. Then the population mean is .1 x 10 + .9 x 20 = 1 + 18 =19; the difference from the mean of diabetics is 9. Notice that the diabetic/population difference is < diabetic/non-diabetic difference. This is because the d

2. As -cendif- is a rank procedure, you will get the same results for any transformation. There is no need to transform.

3. If you are uncertain of basic math functions, it is time to review; you will not be happy in epidemiology without a working knowledge of back-transformations. To answer your question about the "cubic": x^3 and x^(1/3) are inverses in Stata (-help operators-). Not sure what this means? try a google search on: inverse function introduction.

I strongly suggest that you consult a Biostatistics staff member at Newcastle.

Good luck!

-Steve